The purpose of Synergy Grants is to bring two to four researchers and address ambitious research questions using their complementary skills, knowledge and resources in unprecedented ways. With this scheme the ultimate goal is to give support to a close collaborative interactions that will enable transformative research at the forefront of science, capable of yielding ground-breaking or even unpredictable scientific results and/or cross-fertilizing disciplines.
The researchers applying to Synergy Grant are expected to explain the synergies between them in detail and the groundbreaking discoveries that a single researcher cannot achieve alone but can only be achieved together. There are no other specific requirements other than high scientific quality and ambition enhanced by the synergetic collaborative aspect of the project , however Synergy Grant Calls are expected to be highly competitive, where only exceptional applications will be accepted.
Synergy Grant projects are evaluated differently than other ERC calls. First of all, researchers who apply for SyG are required to select “keywords" instead of a panel selection, unlike StG, CoG, AdG calls. In addition, the evaluation of StG, CoG, AdG calls is planned to be two-stage, while the SyG call is has a three-stage evaluation. In the first stage, B1 form is examined, in the 2nd and 3rd stages the whole project proposal will be evaluated and in the 3rd stage, the principal researchers will be interviewed.
Synergy Grants may be awarded up to a maximum of EUR 10 000 000 for a period of 6 years. However, up to an additional EUR 4 000 000 in total can be requested in the proposal to cover (a) eligible "start-up" costs for Principal Investigators moving to the EU or an Associated Country from elsewhere as a consequence of receiving the ERC grant and/or (b) the purchase of major equipment and/or (c) access to large facilities.
2019 Work Programme introduced the possibility for one Principal Investigator in a Synergy Grant Group to be based anywhere in the world, including outside the territory of the European Union (EU) Member States and Associated Countries.
ERC Synergy Grant 2020 is open for applications. The deadline for applications is 5th of November, 2019
TUBITAK EBAG (ERC Principal Investigator Programme) has been established by TUBITAK for increasing the success rate of Turkish researcher in ERC Programme. The programme includes three modules for ERC: Project Writing and Submission Training, Project Pre-evaluation Support and Interview Trainings. The deadlines for applications to EBAG for ERC-2020-SyG call is 21st of September 2019. You can find more information about the programme here.
For any suggestions and questions about ERC Calls you can always send an email to email@example.com.
ERC Rules for Submission and Evaluation
Guide for Peer Reviewers
Horizon2020 Annotated Grant Agreement
ERC Mono Beneficiary Model Grant Agreement
ERC Multi Beneficiary Model Grant Agreement
Horizon 2020 Online Manual (Submit A Proposal)
Participant Portal IT Manual
TÜBİTAK H2020 Support and Award Programmes:
You may apply to the below mentioned TÜBİTAK H2020 Support and Award Programmes which were designed to increase Turkey’s participation to the ERC calls.
- ERC Principle Investigator Advancement Programme: This programme involves, proposal pre-evaluation support, participation to project proposal writing and submission trainings and interview trainings and travel support.
- Travel Support (NEW): This programme involves the support for the travel that a researcher in a Synergy Grant group needs to do to carry out the project writing preparations with the other principle investigator(s).
- Above-Threshold-Award: This is an award given for ERC applicants that passed the first evaluation step. The amount of the award is maximum 60,000 TL (approx. 9,000 EUR) and it is calculated based on the mark received after the evaluation.
- Success Award: This is an award given to ERC Principle Investigators and their host institutions. The total amount of the award is maximum 8,550,000 TL (approx. 1,270,000 EUR) for Synergy Grants and it is calculated according to the project budget and the project duration.
- Transfer Award: This is an award given to ERC Principle Investigators that bring their project to Turkey and their host institution The amount of the award is maximum 500,000 TL (approx 75,000 EUR) and is calculated according to the project duration in Turkey.